I'd like to introduce you to a buddy of mine. We'll simply call him [Buddy] for the sake of his privacy.
[Buddy] and I don't see each other very often anymore but it has come to my attention that in recent years he's drastically turned his life around:
He's been traveling the world, he's wearing more colorful or attention grabbing clothes and he's become very vocal about opinions that people will definitely criticize him for. I don't agree with everything he says but that's not the point, I love the fact that he finally dares to fully be himself.
I don't know what he's up to most of the time but when I get a glimpse he's always in some far away country living the good life. He and his girlfriend also seem to have become happier, more open, less jealous, and are both exploring their sexuality in ways they didn't dare to open up about at first. I know this is true because they just invited me for a threesome.
Now here's the part I didn't know until 2 days ago:
Apparently [Buddy] is dying. In fact he has been dying for a while and should already be dead right now according to the doctors.
When I heard this it immediately struck a chord with me.
Are we really so afraid to stop giving a fuck, get out there, dare to be ourselves and do everything we dream of that it takes death itself to get us to finally start living?
So yesterday I decided for myself (and I hope you'll do the same) to start living as if I had some kind of terrible terminal illness and only had 1, at most 2 years to live.
We all have a bucketlist, but I don't think that list feels very urgent or motivating if you feel like you still have 50 years to live, does it?
The point is that you're not sure if you still have those 50 years. You might, and this whole thing could sound silly or scary to you but it is just as probable that you will die unexpectedly in 6 months. That shit happens.
Ask yourself these questions:
• What (or who 😉 ) has been stuck on that list for months, maybe even years?
• Are you still leaving anything important unsaid?
• Are you still holding back from sharing your opinions or emotions publicly because you're afraid of getting judged or hurt?
• Do you still have any unfinished business or desires that are not getting fulfilled right now?
• What have you been procrastinating on that you really want to get done?
• Why haven't you listened to the new Wasted 24/7 album yet? (I'm bad, I know, but I had to do it.)
• If you were to leave this world 1 year from now, what do you want to have contributed to this place. How would you want the world to remember you? Would they remember you at all?
It shouldn't take a death threat to finally start doing the things you've always wanted to do.
Don't let the dying be more alive than you 😉
Receive Pepijn's new articles by email.
While there's enough articles here to fill a couple of books and sell them, keeping them on this site where you can read them all for free would be much more awesome! And it's amazing people like you who make that possible. If you feel like these posts have helped improve your life, please consider making a donation.